Videogam.in, a site about videogames

Welcome to Videogam.in, a site about videogames. Read more about this site or else pay me for the door repair charge.

E3 Madness

1. It's that time of year again! E3 is underway. Microsoft had their keynote already and so far we received news of a New Xbox 360 Metal Gear game (Metal Gear Solid Risen), a sequel to Left for Dead, and got a look at Microsoft's 'Project Natal', a motion sensing device similar to the eyetoy, among other things. See anything else that struck your fancy so far? Any guesses for what's to come?

+
  2. God, you know, I was so hoping they'd let Metal Gear rest...at least for a few years...

+
  3. well is it even canonical? If it doesn't have a number attached to it I'm not sure it's relevant.

+
  4. I am disappointed with the showings thus far. Granted, I only own a PS3 out of this current generation (console and portable) so I guess I won't feel jealous now about games I won't be getting (though they seem to come anyway just a year later). But yea, I am unimpressed.

+
  5. I wasn't really even thinking of canon. I hate the term 'canon'. Everyone gets way too worked up about it. I mean, a team goes and gets official approval to work within a universe, then works for months to create something meant for you to enjoy, and then people have the nerve to say that its 'not canon' or 'doesn't count' because of a few story discrepancies that, frankly, can be easily overlooked if you're just willing. They do it all the time in movies.

Sorry. Rant over.

But yeah, I just meant I felt like, out of respect, they would leave it alone for a while, then maybe bring back the continuing adventures of robo-raiden or something...

+
  6. major installments always use more resources and talent. as a result 98 out of a hundred times it'll be a better game. it counts more.

Nels, maybe you should invest in a Wii. Metroid: Other M (MOM), Mario Galaxy 2, and New Super Mario Bros. Wii are decent developments.

+
  7. +
  8. That Project Natal thing looks completely useless. I have more faith in the PS3 demo with the Eye Toy and the wands. The part where the guy fought as the knight blew my mind. But this is one of those thing I'll believe it when get to try it for myself.

The thing that the Wii has been missing this whole time is depth of field (which they're apparently going to fix). I can't wait to see this put to use in a real game.

+
  9. Shiz. MOM sounds cool. But...is Team Ninja really Team Ninja anymore?

+
  10. OK Now that I have spent a little more time, I'll summarize what I am excited about and what is intriguing:

PS3:
    Excited:
    Tons more PSN games coming, particularly PS1 classics
    Final Fantasy 13 stuffs (old news)

Intrigued:
    FF14
    MAGS? (I think that is it..)
    The Last Guardian

Wii
    Excited:
    Super Mario Bros. Wii
    Super Mario Galaxy 2
    No More Heroes 2
    New Zelda (I believe no details of the game were discussed)

Intrigued:
    Metroid: Other M

Microsoft
    Excited:
    Lost Planet 2 (old news)

Intrigued:
    Star Wars: The Old Republic

I am sure there is stuff I have missed. There is so much stuff it is hard to keep track of. Like, I know I am missing some Squeenix games from my list (though, maybe I'm not?)

From what I have listed, Nintendo has the most cool stuff, but I am still so excited about FF13 it is hard for anything to make me more excited than that, even if it is new. But yeah, man does the Wii have some nice stuff coming out.

+
  11. Another year, and no mention of a new SSX. Why hast thou forsaken me EA?

At least they're coming out with a new Wii tennis game. I mean if there's one thing the Wii needs, its a new tennis game.

+
  12. +
  13. Now that I think about it, I'm devastated that there's still no word on Pikmin 3.

Additionally, after seeing the first Super Mario Galaxy 2 screens, I can't say "impressed" is a word that comes to mind. It looks pretty trivial and amateurish, as if the whole game's just a bunch of crap they didn't put in the first one (which was pretty fucking amazing though).

I'm getting me a PS3 as soon as I move back to America...

+
  14. Mr_Domino said:
    AVP3 Predator Trailer

:-D :-D :-D :-D

Damn. I was hoping more for a game set on a bizarre alien world or in a crashed spaceship or something. All of the character models look pretty sweet but I'm sick of jungles, warehouses, and deserts. Some FPS needs to step up and make a game where the environment plays a more prominent role in the game. Where just walking through the environment is a huge part of the experience. I guess Bioshock (which I've never played) and a few others are like that but its a very small minority.

Matt said:
    Now that I think about it, I'm devastated that there's still no word on Pikmin 3.

Additionally, after seeing the first Super Mario Galaxy 2 screens, I can't say "impressed" is a word that comes to mind. It looks pretty trivial and amateurish, as if the whole game's just a bunch of crap they didn't put in the first one (which was pretty fucking amazing though).

I'm getting me a PS3 as soon as I move back to America...

Is this the first time they've ever done a direct sequel to a Mario game?

Speaking of sequels, I about fell asleep during the Ass Creed video. It looks like it's basically the same game only with less impressive buildings; same combat, same outfit, same everything. I think Saboteur is going to one up it when it comes out. I'm completely bored with the WWII genre but it still grabbed my attention more than: OMGZ!! He has two concealed knives instead of one!!

+
  15. AVP always has varied environments. Various spaceships, colonies, and a host of different worlds to play around in. This is a very early trailer, and is mostly just a showcase of some of the new gameplay features and the new models, etc.

There's also a video available (lost the link, I'll edit if I find it) of a playthrough by a Sega employee of the E3 demo.

+
  16. http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-09-aliens-vs/50382
    http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-09-aliens-vs/50380
    You mean these clips?

Looks fairly impressive. I can't wait to see what the alien campaign is all about, the alien was my fav to play in the past iterations, especially in 2, LOVED running upside down and pouncing on humans. Soo good.

On a different note, I'm super pumped about MOM. I found the trailer to be absolutely bad ass. 3 teams joining forces to create the ultimate Metroid experience, hells yes! Oh and what's this? a pic of adult Link? W.O.W. I mean, here we could be seeing some Pikmin 3 action but instead, we get this pic of link with some chick made out of sword............oh man, e3 of the decade sigh and where the fuck is StarFox? What about Yasumi Matsuno? There is so much left to be desired here :

[edit: for future reference, the proper tag is [person/] rather than [people/] ~matt]

+
  17. I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not, but I guess you are. The Zelda tease is interesting, but I can't say I'm excited for a Twilight Princess 2. I never finished the first one... soooo booooring... I think I've lost faith i the franchise as a whole. It's just gone down hill since Ocarina of Time.

+
  18. Yea I was ; P and I have to agree with you on the Zelda franchise. Ever since Ocarina of Time, it has never been the same for me.

+
  19. Yeah, It's a damn shame... Majora's Mask was pretty damn good. I really liked the atmosphere and liveliness of some of the environments, though as a whole it was lacking a certain I don't know what that made Ocarina of Time an outstanding classic. Try as I might, and I tried desperately hard, I just didn't like Wind Waker. It felt like a shell of a game, albeit a beautiful, pristine, golden shell.

What the fuck's going on at EAD, anyway?

+
  20. Agree about the Zelda thing. Although I have liked the handheld iterations for the most part. The series needs to do more than mature thematically though. It needs a massive overhaul in order to stay relevant.

+
  21. I'm not sure... It seems to me that Super Mario Galaxy didn't make huge strides in terms of innovation. For the most part, it stayed within the safe confines of the series; Little if nothing new was introduced for anyone familiar with Mario Sunshine and Mario 64. However, it still managed to be an amazing game. If it wasn't very refreshing, it was a great romp through a familiar role since it retained the same charm and spirit present in Mario 64.

It seems to me that Wind Waker and especially Twilight Princess failed to capture the Zelda essence, whatever that is. TP was just totally outlandish and it felt massive and empty. Maybe Nintendo just needs to get their mojo back, though I'm not certain where it went.

+
  22. I remember when Gerstmann did that controversial rating for Twilight Princess at Gamespot and everyone had a shitfit, and at the time I was surprised myself, but after playing 70% of the game I thought to myself "he gave it a 8.6!? he should given it a 7.0 at the most". I really found that game to be extremely underwhelming, and I couldn't help but feel that every facet of the game was "safe" in execution and design.

+
  23. Has anyone checked out Monado: Beginning of the World, the new Monolithsoft game? It looks a lot like FFXII, including the battle system, so the speculation currently is that this is Matsuno's new project. It kind of went below the radar during E3, though.

+
  24. Yeah, I checked it out recently. It looks way early in development, yet intriguing, though not nearly as intriguing as the prospect of it being a Matsuno project!

+
  25. Log in to post a reply.

Don't have an account? Register in about a minute.
Topic #2067 · Invisible to nobody · Closed to nobody older · newer
Close
Login with Facebook Login with Steam
close