Videogam.in, a site about videogames

Welcome to Videogam.in, a site about videogames. Read more about this site or else pay me for the door repair charge.

The current state of J-RPGs

1. I play a lot fewer videogames now than I used to. However I've been playing RPGs from Japan on consoles and RPGs from the West on PC for quite some time. It's hard to say I'm bored with the Japanese's stagnation when the Western RPGs are experiencing just as much. Neither "genre" is really making great leaps and bounds these days towards innovation. It seems like most people "jumping ship" to Western RPGs never really played them so they don't realize how little they've been changing. They don't seem to realize they're chalk full of Western fantasy and sci-fi tropes as well.

I think I may be a JRPG apologist :S I enjoy RPGs from both sides of the world and it annoys the heck out of me when statements about the faults of JRPGs are decried in the ignorance of the WRPGs doing the exact same thing just from a different cultural perspective.

+
  2. @Nels

I think every single word in your post resonates with my views 110%. If the West think that having super complex dialogue trees linking to multiple pathways and outcomes is the solution to depth and complexity in RPGs they're seriously delusional beyond belief. Having said that the East are also stagnant with being terrified of branching outside of the fundamentals brought on by their archetypes. The biggest problem is what has been lost in the transition from 2D to 3D on BOTH sides. They've added a ton of new elements and components but they've replaced the old and have left it there in the past. Leonard Boyarsky is my beacon of light in the West and Yasumi Matsuno is holding the other torch in the East.

They've got potential because of their track record.

+
  3. I don't think Final Fantasy XII was a JPRG anyway. Maybe that's why I loved it so much.

And shame on you for only playing five hours of it, Alex.

+
  4. @Matt Final Fantasy XII is some sort of weird mutant JWRPG. A flawed combination of the best aspects of both genres. The person that figures it out so that it really works will be quite rich (or stifled by an overbearing company concerned about marketability and forced to quit due to mental stress).

+
  5. I can't help but whole-heartedly sympathize with the sentiment of this post.

I've been pretty unable to get into the old-school vibe or replay classics I loved back in the day (i.e. Lunar: Silver Star Harmony). Fortunately, I recently purchased Star Ocean: First Departure, and it's been wonderful to me. Great old school vibe with a decent pace.

It's very much true that I simply don't have the time I used to, so games that play well for short periods of time are key.

+
  6. Log in to post a reply.

Don't have an account? Register in about a minute.
Topic #2234 · Invisible to nobody · Closed to nobody older · newer
Close
Login with Facebook Login with Steam
close